I’ll be honest, there weren’t a lot of NMD150 projects that I thoroughly enjoyed doing. This assignment, however, was a lot of fun. Our final project was supposed to be some sort of interactive adventure game, using HTML coding to create it. My project partner, Andrew, handled most of the code, and I did all the illustrations, including the character, backdrop, and danger zones. It turned out to be a functional game and worked exactly the way we expected it to, and we were so excited to have a successful project finished for the final.
For this project, we were asked to create a brand new album cover for our favorite band using photoshop. This was one of the first times I’ve used photoshop to create an illustration, and I think it was very successful. I had tons of fun making this album cover and I’m still very proud to have it as a portfolio piece.
The assignment here was to create an icon for a new app idea that we had. I chose to create a fashion app, where the user could buy and sell clothes, as well as post photos of outfits to be rated and commented on by other users. Of course, I chose to do a vector drawing of a fabulous high heeled shoe, as I felt that it would exemplify the type of attitude and personality this app was designed to draw in. I played around with multiple color schemes but ended up choosing one with complimentary pastel colors, Because I thought they played better with the shape and style of the shoe.
I had so much fun with this assignment. It was the first time I had ever used Illustrator before in my life. The assignment was to take a photo of ourselves and do a vector drawing of it. I had so much fun with this project, I learned tons of valuable knowledge from it, AND I ended up with a great piece that adds something very personal to my portfolio.
The Meowmeter was a very ambitious project for myself and my project partners, Hanna and Megan. The assignment was to create a musical instrument using sensors, buttons, gages, etc. Our plan was to create a music box with a button layout that conveniently fits the left hand, because most instruments don’t cater to left handed people. The sounds were supposed to be that of cat meows, which the person playing the instrument directs using the buttons, over a beat track. However, this project was a little too ambitious for our skill set. The instrument worked only briefly, but ended up being unsuccessful despite our best efforts and a few extremely long nights trying to perfect it. However, we were all very proud of this project, as we DID have it functioning at one point, and we poured a lot of time and effort into it.
The Non-Denominational Holiday Tree was a final project for 102 created by Sylvia, Megan and myself. The tree features LED lights that are hooked up to 2 arduino boards on the back of the tree, and are synced to dance to any song it is given. We did all the coding and programming for the LEDs, which took a very long time, but ended up being incredibly successful, aesthetically pleasing and entertaining. This was the first project I had made which made me feel like I belonged in New Media.