Final Project

Back Top Front
My final project for NMD200 was a topographic map sculpture of Acadia National Park. It included Mt. Gorham, Cadillac Mountain, the Beehive trail, and the surrounding ocean of these landmarks. This was arguable my most successful final project of my time in New Media. I love that it is colorful yet muted, large, and most of all, accurate to the actual site. This project had a lot of personal meaning for me as well, as Acadia National Park is a place where my family would go to have a great time before my parents got divorced. I absolutely love the way this project turned out and I am more than proud of how beautiful it is.

Final Prototype

Front
This was my 1/3rd size prototype for my final NMD200 project. I love the way it came out and I think I’m going to use this model to create even more of these pieces, but with the paint and stain finish included. This prototype was a great start for the final project, because it helped me to understand how to go about laser cutting the final, as well as how labor intensive the large version of this would actually be. In the end, I was able to better prepare for the actual final thanks to making this prototype.

Project 3 Reflection

3D Printed Planter

When project 3 was first introduced to us, I was pretty excited about all the possibilities. I had a lot of ideas and was excited about bringing them to life. Most of all, I thought this project would be a pretty simple way to express myself creatively through 3D printing. I soon discovered how wrong I was. Though my part of the project printed rather well and easily, the other parts of the project proved to be a time consuming struggle. The dimensions of the plate were off when uploaded to the printer, despite the fact that everything fit well within the 3D model on our computers. We had to do a LOT of measuring and scaling in order to make the plate fit the vase. Then, the glow in the dark flower was a challenge all its own. It kept printing without helpful structures and falling apart, or printing way too small and being unusable. It took another few hours to get the dimensions correct for the flower, even though it definitely fit perfectly in the 3D model. However, after many mental breakdowns, we finally got all the pieces to print to the right size and print somewhat accurate.
After the project was finished, I have to say I was pretty proud of it. We came out of this with a functioning project that was aesthetically pleasing and very interesting. I was excited to see the project in action and show it to the class. However, if I could do this project over again, I would use a different system of connecting the vase to the plate. I probably would have suggested rounded long pegs attached to the plate, and then shallow peg holes inside the vase. This way the vase would still be suspended over the plate. I really like the design of my vase, and I was very happy with the designs my partners made for their pieces, so I wouldn’t change anything about the actual designs. I just think it would have been better if we had an easier way of connecting the pieces.
3D printing is definitely a good skill to have, and I’m glad we learned how to do it. I think that in the future it could be possible for me to use 3D printing to each a new level of creativity. However, I don’t see myself using a lot of 3D printing in the near future. It was very frustrating and I feel that the software used to make 3D models has a long way to go before I ever consider it to be “convenient”. I’m hoping that sometime soon 3D printing can become a household activity and everyone will be able to understand it, but until then, I don’t think I’ll be experimenting much with it.

Laser Cutting

Deer: Stain & Finish Jelly Fish: Purple Translucent Acrylic Deer: Original Wood
These are pieces I produced using the laser cutter for the first time. The jellyfish was the actual project, which I laser cut out of purple translucent acrylic. I also engraved some intricate hand-drawn details into the jellyfish. Overall I was extremely satisfied with how this project turned out. The laser cut deer was something I made for a friend who was having a baby. I laser cut it out of birch wood, and engraved the details of the face as well as the name of the baby, Irwin Scott Pike. Both pieces came out beautifully and I was more than happy with them.

President Penguin Photoshoot

Backdrop Backdrop Natural Lighting Natural Lighting Indoor Lighting Indoor Lighting Shallow Depth of Field Deep Depth of Field Macro 2 Macro 1
This was the first project we were asked to complete in NMD200. We were assigned to take something that we had created, and photograph it with different criteria to meet for each photo. Like most of my peers, a lot of my most recent work was digital art, therefore I didn’t have a piece that I could physically hold and therefore photograph. So, I decided to make an entirely new piece for this project. I crocheted this penguin, who made an excellent model for this purpose. I enjoyed the project very much, and learned some valuable lessons about photography and how to portray a project in a professional way.